United Way’s health goal is to enable individuals and families to improve their health. This requires increasing access to health care and health insurance, but also creating healthy communities, increasing physical activity and access to healthy food, and ensuring that children and families get off to a healthy start.
Good health is an essential ingredient for individual success and a thriving community. Healthy kids are more likely to succeed in school. The whole community will flourish when all of our residents have access to public parks, playgrounds, healthy foods and quality healthcare. United Way of Pettis County is committed to more than short-term charity for a few; we are committed to lasting solutions that build opportunity for all.
The United Way of Pettis County provides funding and support to the following Agencies that focus on improving these areas:
- Promotes Healthy Lifestyles: Boys and Girls Club, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts
- Provides CPR and First Aid Training: American Red Cross
- Conducts Swim Lessons and Water Safety Programs: American Red Cross
- Provides Support for Healthy Independent Living for Seniors: Sedalia Senior Center
- Offers Medical and Legal Resources: Citizens Against Spousal Abuse (CASA)
- Provides Healthy Food and Prescription Drug Assistance: Open Door Service Center
- Provides Transportation for Seniors to medical appointments: Sedalia Senior Center
- Provides Healthy Food Distribution: Food Bank for Northeast and Central Missouri
- Provides Delivery of Healthy Food: Meals on Wheels
- Provides Financial Assistance for Adaptive Equipment for those individuals with Disabilities: Association for Persons with Disabilities
- Offers Home Aids for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Offers Telephone Assistance for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Adult and Children Advocacy: CASA
- Provides support to victims of sexual assault/abuse and neglect: CASA
- Provides Youth & Family Counseling: Show Me Christian Youth Home
- Offers Crisis Counseling: CASA
- Offers Support Groups to visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
The United Way of Pettis County helps lead initiatives that focus on Mental Health and Substance Abuse as well as Hunger. We partner with local non-profit organizations to create educational cooking classes called Set the Table. These classes are not only free, attendees also get to take home an electric skillet, cooking supplies and food prepared by the chef and participants.
The United Way of Pettis County also partners with FamilyWize in providing access to their prescription savings card. The free FamilyWize prescription savings card helps to reduce the cost of prescription medication. The card has unlimited use, so individuals can apply it to every prescription they fill. Better yet, the card works for both the insured and the uninsured – anyone can use it! For more information on FamilyWize, click on the Resource tab on our website.